Monday, December 31, 2018

semester performance review (video)

Advanced feature news story
For this project we were supposed to create a feature story, and interview at least one person. We interviewed Vic Kepner about her experience in NAHS, national art honors society.
This project took about a week and a half for planning, filming, and editing. The only struggles I found in the process was getting re familiarized with the editing software and finding where everything was located. Along the way, I learned how to use an actual camera, edit, and plan out interview questions. My biggest feedback came from the fact that I didn't have time to do a voiceover, and that I definitely should make time for it next time. I was quite pleased with my results, especially as it was my first project.

ONW now
This week in video, we had the opportunity to produce ONW NOW, the school news show. Throughout this project, we got to experience the real stress and time limit that the convergence class faces every day. We learned how to effectively, and efficiently, get the required footage and edit in a timely manner. This project took about a week and a half to complete the entire process. My group had a bit of trouble getting the mic to work for the voiceover and ended up spending a lot longer on it then we should have. I learned that it is ok to have a little fun during the process and also to just use the voice memos app if the computer isn't getting our voiceover. I overall really enjoyed this project. It was a great experience for me and I'm glad I got to witness the production of ONW now. 
Time management
I use my time efficiently, making sure to get everything done when It's due, even if it means doing it at home. I have only done two projects, and in both I have finished right at the deadline. But if time were to permit, I would use any extra time to review and make last minute edits and/or changes to ensure perfection. Outside of school, I enjoy recording things and editing them together which helps enhance my sequencing experience.
Strengths/ areas of improvement
I believe I have a good eye for sequencing and what looks good where. I also am good at figuring out what to film that will enhance the overall appeal in our video. Anytime I drive or walk around somewhere, I tend to imagine scenes that could take place which helps with location scouting as well as getting ideas for footage.

ONW sophomore edition

In the making ONW now, I  learned how to effectively, and efficiently, get the required footage and edit in a timely manner. I learned a lot throughout this project as I was still shadowing and it was an awesome experience to have. I was an extra during the filming of the show which was really cool to me as I got to see it all fall into place. My group was in charge of the feature news story and we did ours over United Sound which is a fairly new band program at our school. 

Summary
Even though I was only in this class for a couple months, I enjoyed every minute of it! I found new friendships and learned so much about the production process and everything that people go through to make ONW now how it is. I wouldn't change anything about the semester as it was extremely enjoyable for me! I learned so much, like how to work a camera, how to mic someone for an interview, how to stay on track and focused, and of course, how to overall make an entertaining news story. My only goals are to further my knowledge in the pre, post, and production process
Final thoughts
All in all, I had an amazing time in my first couple months of video. I made new friends and learned so
much about how convergence works and what to expect for next year. I am absolutely excited to learn
about entertainment this coming semester and see what I can make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

second semester video

Happy Campers This project consisted of writing, casting, and filming our own short film. There was a lot of time and effort put into t...